Thursday, March 11, 2010
Getting off the Firetruck
I have always been proud of my ability to "fight fires", whether at work or home. I feel I work best in high risk, high reward situations and have always looked at this as a virtue. It probably is a virtuous skill, if it weren't also a large part of my lifestyle. I've just recently realized that when you fight fires, you lose your freedom, because you are constantly reacting or prepared to react - so down time doesn't really let you wind down. To regain my freedom it's time to get proactive. As to not set myself up for failure, I am going to methodically move tasks from fire fighting mode to proactive mode. I will start with tasks that would mostly be considered chores because these are fires that often don't get fought until they're burning out of control since they aren't considered "critical", but they certainly can greatly effect one's quality of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There you go buddy... This is great lesson to learn and the sooner the better. People like us are always ready to respond to situations or be impulsive, but for your brain to really unwind it needs to understand that certain activities have a fence around them and that only the most serious emergencies will interrupt them. Yoga, Dinner, etc, etc... these are short activities and the buzzing of our blackberries does not need to interrupt them. We just need to make a cognizant decision to protect certain times so we can unwind and recharge and be even better able to fight fires as they come along.
ReplyDeleteGood for you,
Love ya buddy,
Jim